Sunday, January 16, 2011

101 Great Films- #100

# 100  The friends of Eddie Coyle
I love movies. I have since I went to the Drive – In with my parents to see Support your local Sheriff.
Since then I have watched god only knows how many, but a safe guess is 3,000, that may be more about the fact that I’m old than I watch a lot of films! 
For this segment of my Self- Indulgent Blog, I’m going to list my 101 favorite films, I think I understand films but I’m not a critic, or an academic. So here is my list, of course if I did this list next year it might be totally different that’s why it’s  self- indulgent!

# 100  The friends of Eddie Coyle
1973’s The  friends of Eddie Coyle, is one of several excellent early 70’s gritty, grainy  American Crime Dramas,  with an Academy Award performance by the great Robert Mitchum- who wasn’t even nominated . Another solid performance in the film is by Peter Boyle, one of American’s great character actors as Dilion, but the whole cast is spot on, most looking like they walked out of a local pub than a casting call.  
Shot on location around Boston and adapted from former Massachusetts State’s attorney George V. Higgins novel of the same name. Pete Yates directs with a low key almost French style that creates a  natural flow not a abc’s Hollywood formula.
The Highlight reel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrI_r_6xzH8

Also if you would like to buy:
http://www.amazon.com/Friends-Eddie-Coyle-Robert-Mitchum/dp/B001TIQT6G

101 Great films so far:
# 101 One False Move
#100  The Friends of Eddie Coyle

No comments:

Post a Comment